Monday 13 September 2010

Barley Idli

Barley Idli


Idlis are classic south Indian steamed rice cakes. Following the success of barley dosa, I thought there was no reason why I cannot make lovely idlis with barley. Considering all the goodness in barley, which I have talked about in my barley dosa post, I was keen on making nice fluffy idlis with them. I must say I was surprised with the results and ofcourse pleased. I try to make a variety of instant idlis but somehow I seem to favour the fermented type more. It is possibly because it seems to have lentils in it and also the fact that fermented food is good for our body. I did not get to take many pictures as it was fairly straightforward. Just make sure you grind the batter just like usual idli batter. Here is more info on how to make it...

¼ cup urd dal
¼ cup idli rice
½ cup barley
1 teaspoon fenugreek
Salt to taste

Above quantity yields about 8-10 idlis.
Rinse and soak urd dal and fenugreek seeds together. Rinse and soak idli rice and barley separately. Try to soak overnight or about 6-8 hours.

In a wet grinder or a food processor/mixie first grind the urd dal to a fine paste and then add the rice and barley. Grind to a marginally coarse paste. Add required amount of salt. Ferment overnight. If you live in a cold place, keep the batter in the oven and if need be, warm the oven slightly and then turn it off and put the batter in.

Make the idlis in an idli pot just like usual idlis. You need not apply oil before spooning the batter on the idli plate, but that is upto you.

Steam the idlis for about 10-15 minutes. Pierce a skewer and if it returns without much sticking to it, then idli is done.

If you do not have idli pot, I would think you can even make this in ramekins and steam.

Serve hot with a nice chutney and maybe sambar as well.



The batter should start to flow freely when dropped from a spoon but do not make it too watery. I find it helpful to wait for the batter to ferment and add any more water if needed. Make sure you place the batter in a big container as the batter could double in volume if it ferments well.

No comments:

Post a Comment