Monday 26 March 2012

Shahi Dal


Shahi Dal


Here is another recipe that started off with one intent and ended up being something else. Well, I had bookmarked shahi dal from Tarla Dalal’s website. I did not quite get whether I was meant to use whole urd with skin or broken with skin. I chose the former as I had a small pack to be used up and every little helps empty my pantry. I had soaked about half a cup of the dal for almost 24 hours as I did not get around to the kitchen that day and ended up eating at a friend’s place. The next day I had to use these up but did not get to look at the recipe just before starting as my husband was already starving after a shopping trip we made. I vaguely remembered the ingredients and method and just put it together as I thought was appropriate. Result – a really yummy dal with subtle yet rich flavours and packed with nutrition. I quickly made rotis to eat with this dal and we polished the dish clean! I was a bit unsure if my husband would like it but he loved it. This certainly is a keeper. Here is how I made it…

½ cup black gram with skin, rinsed and soaked overnight
1 small piece ginger, crushed/chopped
½ teaspoon chilly powder
¼ teaspoon garam masala (about ½ teaspoon if using store bought)
2 pinches kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
3 tomatoes, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
¼ cup ground almonds/blanched almond flakes
4 cardamom pods
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
Turmeric powder
1 cup milk
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon butter
Cooking oil

Cook the dal with milk and ginger and add little water to it if needed. Pressure cooking would be ideal so it can be mashed once done (forgot a picture for this!)

Heat the butter along with some oil and add cumin seeds. Once it browns, add the onions and fry until golden

Add the tomatoes, little salt and cook until mushy

If using blanched almonds flakes, grind together the almonds and cardamom. If using ground almond, crush the cardamom alone. If soaking almonds and using, then grind to paste with cardamom. Add the almond and cardamom mixture

 Add the cooked and mashed dal, required salt, chilly powder, kasoori methi and garam masala and little water (could add any liquid left over from cooking the dal too)and bring to boil and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often.



Serve hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment