Thursday 16 December 2010

Dahi Bread Chaat (Low Fat version of Dahi Vada)


Dahi Bread Chaat (Low Fat version of Dahi Vada)


For a long time and by that I mean from summer this year I have wanted to try some chaat dish with croutons. Reason I was so inspired by croutons was that without the need to be deep fried, they are so crispy and I thought combining that crispness with something Indian would be a good idea. Well you could fry the bread to make your croutons but they turn out perfectly fine when baked. Anyway, despite the idea being in gestation period for so long I never got to do it. Recently I saw a recipe here, by another blogger and that was the nudge for me. I thought it is time to execute and today I made my version. I chose to take a few bread slices and cut them up and wanted to keep them slightly bigger than usual croutons just so that they resemble our dahi vada or any other chaat. This dish is a combination of western crouton and the south Indian dhahi vada. In the end it tasted very close to our traditional dahi vada. Here is how I did it...

3 slices of bread, crust removed and cut into four pieces
1-2 cups yoghurt slightly beaten
1 inch piece ginger
1 green chilly
Pinches of chilly powder
Few tablespoons boondhi or omapodi for garnish
Few coriander leaves for garnish
Few pinches of chaat masala (optional)
Few drops cooking oil

Put a drop of oil on each slice of bread or skip the oil. Bake in a preheated oven at 180degC for 10 minutes.

Crush the ginger and green chilly and add to beaten yogurt


Pour this yogurt on the bread slices, garnish with omapodi/boondhi, chilly powder, coriander leaves. If you like the flavours from chaat masala sprinkle few pinches of it as well.



Allow it to sit for 15 minutes or so and serve. You could serve it chill as well. You could use readily available croutons instead of toasting the bread in the oven.

I find the salt in the yogurt adequate but if you wish add more salt to the yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment