Monday 13 June 2011

Sindhi Kadhi


Sindhi Kadhi


I am usually very careful in spending money but there are few things for which I love to spend (ofcourse not splash out). The first on the list is books. Firstly it will not perish; secondly no one can steal what you get out of them and thirdly it is quite satisfying to read and learn new stuff. I was very much aware of how many different recipes can be obtained free of cost on the internet but I still decided to buy a good few cookery books. Somehow, I find the books quite inspiring and motivating. I usually take them to bed with me, read few recipes, think about how to adapt them and finally nod off. Usually the next day or soon in that week, I would try what I had thought of. One of the cook book authors that I really like is Tarla Dalal as she usually opens me to a wide variety of north Indian recipes. I was making mint rice one day and thought a mildly spiced side dish will go with it as too much spice could compete with the delicate flavour of the mint. I flipped through the book on kadhi and came across this Sindhi kadhi. I made very small changes to suit our taste and the result was great. It was only as I was cooking the dish that I realised that this kadhi needs no yogurt/curd. Use as much vegetables as possible to make it a nutritious treat.

3-4 cups of mixed vegetables (potatoes, carrots, beans, cauliflower, broccoli, peas, corn etc.)
4 tablespoon besan (chickpea flour)
1 teaspoon chilly powder
1 teaspoon sambar powder (optional)
2 green chillies, slit
A piece of ginger, grated
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
Few curry leaves
¼ teaspoon fenugreek powder
1 teaspoon tamarind paste
Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Cooking oil

Boil the vegetables until done or steam them until done

Heat a kadai and add a teaspoon of cooking oil and add the cumin seeds and when it starts browning add the fenugreek powder

Add the besan and roast until aromatic and it just begins to change colour

Add about 3-4 cups of water, curry leaves, green chillies, ginger and boil on low flame stirring frequently after a few minutes, add the chilly powder, sambar powder, turmeric powder and tamarind paste and cook until raw smell goes




 
Add the vegetables, required salt and simmer for a few minutes. Depending on your preferred consistency, you may want to add more water.

Serve hot with rice or any Indian bread.

4 comments: