Sunday 27 May 2012

Aloo Tikki


Aloo Tikki


Aloo tikki is a very popular North Indian dish and I was surprised I had not made it in ages and not blogged about it either. It used to be one of the dishes that I used to make in my mom’s kitchen whenever I managed to get some time away from my books as a student. Some deep fry but most shallow fry it on a hot griddle and I prefer the latter. My wee one is not a fan of potato and will clearly put it on our plate if I give him any. However when I give it in the form of baked chips, potato cake etc., he does not realise it and has it. I then thought I will make tikki for a change and it went well too. You could add some boiled peas if you like but in the interest if time and simplicity I skipped it. I also preferred chilly powder to green chillies as my wee one may not fancy chilly but it is upto you. Mint or coriander chutney will be great with these tikkis, this time though, I served with ketchup. Here is the recipe…

1 big potato boiled
1teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon chilly powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon coriander leaves
2 wholemeal bread slices, crust removed
1 teaspoon grated ginger (optional)
½ teaspoon onion granules (optional)
Salt to taste

Mash or grate the potato well and add the ginger and coriander leaves

Wet the bread slices and squeeze the excess water out and squash it between your palms and add to the potato

Add the coriander, cumin powder, chilly powder, onion granules and salt and mix well

Smear some oil on your palms and take lemon size balls and pat them to desired thickness

Heat a non-stick pan and cook both sides of the tikkis until golden brown and add little oil if needed

Serve with a chutney or ketchup

3 comments:

  1. Omg,those tikkis makes me hungry.Wish to have it anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey veena, i made the aloo tikki.. my two year old son loved it a lot..:) he was lickin his fingers...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very tempting aloo tikkis..you have wonderful space dear..happy to follow u!
    Spicy-Aroma

    ReplyDelete