Saturday 21 August 2010

Leek-Potato-Bean Sprout Curry

Leek-Potato-Bean Sprout Curry




Some of you may have read my article compiling information about sprouts. You may have also noticed that I had said I will post some sprouts recipe on my blog and this is the first of many to come. I made this recipe on a day when I was not taking anything sour and hence avoided tomatoes. This recipe is special not just because it has sprouts but also because this is the first time I used leeks in my cooking. Leeks are said to be a cousin of onions. Leeks are said to help reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol. They are also said to reduce risk of come cancers. As this was my first attempt cooking leeks, though not eating, I used some onions as well. You could easily skip the onions and use leeks alone. I am not a fan of raw food, except ofcourse fruits. So, I prefer to cook sprouts. If you prefer it raw, you could add it after you have cooked the dish.

½ cup chopped leeks

1 medium onion, finely chopped

2-3 large potatoes, cubed and boiled

1 cup bean sprouts (mung bean sprout)

1 cup coconut milk (I added about 1 cup boiling water to a 50g coconut cream packet)

1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder

Salt to taste

Cooking oil

Grind the following to a paste:

Handful of grated coconut

Generous portions of ginger, say 2 inch long piece

4-5 dry red chillies

In a skillet, add some oil and fry onions and leeks and add turmeric powder



Add potatoes. I added sprouts now but from next time I would want to hold it until the dish is nearly done.


Add ground paste and coconut milk. Allow to boil and reduce to desired consistency. If it is too thick, you can add some water. Season with salt.




Serve hot with rice or any bread like chapatti.


To sprout mungbean, I rinse in water about four times. Soak overnight and drain water. Keep covered in a box on my kitchen counter. Starts sprouting within a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment