Saturday 19 February 2011

Brown Rice Vegetable Masala Dosa



Brown Rice Vegetable Masala Dosa


Right from my childhood I was brought up eating raw rice and same was the case for my husband. I would not even take even par-boiled rice except ofcourse when added to idli or dosa. You can then imagine how hard it must have been for us to try brown rice. Until now, I have not had the courage to replace white rice with brown rice in a dish like pulav or anything. However, as I am a very nutrition and health conscious cook, I knew I had to find them a place in our diet. The fibre in brown rice is said to help prevent colon cancer and gallstones. Brown rice has a lower glycemic index meaning it will release its caloric content slower and hence keeps one fuller for longer and also helps maintain stable sugar levels. For the world of benefits it offers I thought it to be appropriate to combine it with few other goodies. As everyone knows a meal is not balanced without vegetables. So this time rather than making masala dosa with usual potato stuffing I decided to add more veggies and left few potatoes chunky to make it look like regular masala. I also made coconut chutney as I did not have time for any other chutney that evening. Here is the recipe for dosa and vegetable masala.

For the dosa:
½ cup brown rice
½ cup par-boiled rice (idli rice)
¼ cup black lentil (urd dal)
¼ poha (beaten rice)
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
Salt to taste

Soak all ingredients together overnight. Grind it together to a fine batter adding required water and then add water. The consistency should be similar to idli batter so you can add more water later.

Allow the batter to ferment overnight. I let it out for two nights as it was cold here and it needed a bit more time

To make the dosa, spread a ladle full of batter on a hot pan and add little oil around the dosa. Flip the side once the top sets and edge appear brown and cook for a minute or less

For vegetable masala:
2 small potatoes, boiled, cubed
1 cup boiled vegetables (I used frozen mixed veggies, carrot, peas, beans, corn)
1 tomato, chopped
1 onion finely chopped
2 green chillies, slit
1 inch ginger, grated
Some curry leaves
Turmeric powder
1 teapsoon mustard seeds
Asafoetida
Salt to taste
Cooking oil

Heat a little oil and add mustard seeds. Once it crackles, add onions, ginger, green chillies, turmeric powder, curry leaves and asafoetida

Once onion turns soft, add the tomato and a pinch of salt.

Once tomato becomes mushy add the vegetables and potato and mash it coarsely. I did not want them too mashed, especially the potatoes.

Add required salt and cook for a couple of minutes.

Once both sides of the dosa are cooked, please about a tablespoon of the vegetable masala on one side of the dosa and fold over. Serve with a nice chutney!


The dosas came out evem better than restaraunt dosas and I was delighted. It was indeed very filling. You can make around 10 dosas with the said quantity.

My wee one had a special dosa, cat again!

I am sending this to wholesome wholegrains event hosted by http://www.cookingwithsiri.com/2011/01/wwc-brown-rice-for-dinner-event.html. Here is the main event and this month Siri is hosting the event for wholegrain rice dinner recipes.

4 comments:

  1. Manchurian is looking good and yummy !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Madras Bistro which offers a wide range of delicious North and South Indian vegetarian dishes. Situated in the heart of Bergen County, Madras Bistro is located in Hackensack, NJ.

    ReplyDelete