Tuesday 22 February 2011

Low Fat Potato Fries


Low Fat Potato Fries


In America it is called French Fries and in UK it is called chips and the whole world loves it no matter what it is called. As a vegetarian, usually this is pretty much the only item on a typical McDonald or Burger King menu that I can order barring a cheesy burger. I have always thought they fry it in the same oil as they fry the fish in as it has an odd smell. For a person brought up the way I was brought up that is not an easy thought to stomach. Neither am I a person who willingly deep fries at home so there had to be another way to get my hands on these chips. I was watching Ellie Kreiger’s show on foodnetwork and came across this recipe. I could not get it right the first couple of times I suspect it was because I used normal potatoes while recipe calls for baking potatoes. At the end of the day, it did make a difference what potato I used as this time it was a great success and the whole family liked it. Here is how I did it...

2 baking potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into long finger like pieces
Salt to taste
1-2 tablespoon cooking oil

Mix the oil with the potatoes and place them on a baking tray lined with greaseproof baking paper ensuring all the potato pieces are laid in a single layer

Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degC for 15 minutes and reduce the temperature to 180degC and bake for further 5-10 minutes. Ensure you give them a stir mid way to ensure uniform cooking.

Add salt and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment