Tuesday 23 April 2013

Oven roasted Achari Baingan



Oven roasted Achari Baingan
I absolutely love aubergine/eggplant/brinjal. Call it by whatever name you like, I love it, period. I have now heard from quite a few people that they dislike this veggie, some do not know what to do with it. For me, there is no limit to what we can make with this beautiful veggie. The varieties I get in this part of teh world do need plenty of seasoning and oil to get good results and there are times when I cannot be bothered waiting for it to cook on the hob. My sister-in-law had mentioned that she had good results roasting eggplants in oven and I often roast the whole large eggplant instead of charring on flame. So I decided to cook them in teh oven for this wonderful achari dish. Achar means pickle and as the spices used in this are typically used for north Indian pickles, it gets the name achari. Fennel seeds are usually added but I skipped it. The dish was super scrummy and for the little effort that I put in to prepare it, the results were plenty-fold better. I used the left over spice powder to prepare a similar dish using green chillies!

1 long brinjal, cut into roundels, about ¼ inch thick (about 2 cups of cut brinjal)
Turmeric powder
½ teaspoon amchur powder
Salt to taste
Cooking oil
½ teaspoon methi seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon sesame seeds
½ teaspoon nigella seeds
½ teaspoon chilly powder

Sprinkle turmeric powder on the cut brinjal (this helps avoid it going black) and rest until oven preheats to 180degC. Drizzle some oil and mix. Cook this in the oven for about 20 minutes, mixing it in between

Roast all seeds and crush to powder

Once the brinjals are done, add the crushed powder, salt, chilly powder and amchur powder, mix and put in oven for about 5-8 minutes

Serve hot with rice or rotis. I used the left over spice powder to fill into some slit green chillies and sautéing them in mustard oil...yum!




2 comments:

  1. Beautifully done, loving those oven roasted achari baingan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I think I will add fennel seeds too, for I like that flavor, and you are right it would give that North Indian achar taste. And nice idea to use the left over powder to make stuffed chilli, and that would taste yummy with curd rice too.
    Can you please remove the word verification?

    ReplyDelete