Friday 12 July 2013

Sambar Spice Fried Rice


Sambar Spice Fried Rice
If you are a fan of schezwan rice, then you are likely to enjoy this too. It really is the south Indian equivalent of the Chinese dish. My husband used to make variety rices (it has been a while since he has made them now) and they were always quite unique and delish. He would never let me find what he is adding to them. I knew he was using a spice mixing that I was not quite using. I am still guessing what it is but my bet is on sambar powder bought from the shop (I seldom use store bought sambar powder and keep it as a fall back). Recently, I watched a recipe by vah chef and turns out he also makes a rice with sambar powder. I made it the very next day and took it for lunch, it was very nice. The use of chopped garlic gave it a Chinese hint and I am sure the flavour will be slightly different if we use garlic paste. Here is the recipe...

1 cup rice, cooked so grains are fluffy
1 tomato, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
Handful of green beans, chopped
½ cup green peas
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons sambar powder
1 tablespoon butter
Required salt
Few curry leaves
Some coriander leaves, chopped

Except rice and coriander leaves, mix all ingredients in a bowl

Add this mixture to a hot pan and cook until veggies are just done and mix this with cooked rice and garnish with coriander leaves


Serve hot or just pack for lunch with raita


1 comment:

  1. such an unusually tasty fusion dish, would love to have them by the plateful :-)

    ReplyDelete