Friday 18 March 2011

Baghara Baingan


Baghara Baingan
I saw a program on the tele in which they made Hydrabadi baghara baingan. At that time I was did not think I will have access to any brinjal other than the Spanish one and did not quite bother to note the recipe. However I did get a chance to buy the long and sort of thin brinjals and first thing I wanted to try was this dish. I looked for a few recipes hoping it will ring a bell as to how the lady on the television program did it but not quite lucky. I then saw Tarla Dalal’s recipe and tried it. The outcome was very nice. I must say that the appearance of the dish is probably not universally appealing and even my husband kept asking me if it was fish. It was hard to get a good picture with the eggplant clearly visible in the finished dish so I took the shots when I ate them with dosa. They were great with dosa, chapattis and curd rice. Here is the recipe...

4-5 eggplants, slit length wise but still held together by the sepal part of the veggie
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
2 green chillies slit
Curry leaves, 1 sprig
For spice paste:
2 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp grated coconut or dessicated coconut
2 tbsp raw peanuts
1 tsp chopped ginger
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp tamarind pulp

Roast all ingredients except the coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and tamarind pulp mentioned for spice paste, cool and grind to paste adding the remaining ingredients for the paste

Heat a couple of teaspoons oil and add the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Once mustard crackles, add the brinjals and sauté for a couple of minutes, by this time it will begin to change colour, keep aside

In the same pan add the ground paste and little oil and cook until mixture leaves sides of the pan

Add the brinjals, required salt, little water and curry leaves and cook covered until it is done

Garnish with coriander leaves if you like and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment