Friday 25 March 2011

Ginger Chutney (Andhra Style)


Ginger Chutney (Andhra Style)


When you have some great chutneys, it is hard to determine whether idli or dosa is the nain dish or the chutney. Well, usually we need chutneys for idli or dosa and usually upma and pongal as well. I like variety in chutneys and not just the usual coconut chutney. I saw a ginger chutney recipe on a television program and adapted it to our taste. One of the ingredients I forgot to add was dry red chillies but the chutney still came out great. Am sure the chillies will make it even better. I have almost stopped buying coconut and grating it freshly even for chutneys. I could not break and grate them myself so often they were just rotting in the shelf. I stopped buying them and now I use dessicated coconut for all coconut based dishes and I must say I do not really miss fresh grated one. I may not do the same for few dishes like kozhukattai etc. as the fresh juices from the coconut adds a special flavour. Anyway here is my chutney recipe...

3 tablespoons grated or dessicated coconut
1 tomato, chopped
½ - 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
2-3 tablespoons ginger,chopped
2-3 dry red chillies
Salt to taste
Asafoetida
Cooking oil

Heat a kadai and little oil and fry the dry red chillies, coconut, tomato and asafoetida and cook until the tomato wilts and add ginger and tamarind paste at this stage

Cool and grind with required salt and serve

You could use some mustard seeds for tempering

1 comment: