Thursday 3 March 2011

Fruity Poha Kheer (Avil Payasam/Beaten Rice Dessert)


Fruity Poha Kheer (Avil Payasam/Beaten Rice Dessert)


If I remember correctly I never used to like flatten rice kheer when I was young but my brother used to love it and my grandmother and mom used to make it for him. Now that I have my own kitchen and also that I seem to be a keen cook, I was happy to try making this dish myself. I had also promised someone this recipe so I thought I will post it while still fresh in the oven (and the taste still in my tongue!). I usually make a dessert only once a week but there are few exceptions depending on the overall food intake by my wee one. Somedays I just does not get much so I try to get some fruit based dessert into him. I always add much less sugar than many would normally add and tend not to make fatty desserts either. The dish turned out great and the combination of raisins, cashew nuts, apple and poha in a mouthful was awesome. Here is how I made it...

¼ cup poha
4-5 teaspoons sugar
1 apple, finely chopped
1 tablespoon raisins, fried in ghee
1 tablespoon cashewnuts, fried in ghee
2 cardamom pods
1 litre milk (you could use lesser depending on desired consistency)
1 tablespoon ghee (including that required to fry raisin and cashew)

Add little ghee to a saucepan and fry the poha until it begins to change colour

Add two to three cups of milk to the poha and stir

When the poha is half cooked (about 4-5 minutes), add the apple

When the apples have turned soft, add cardamoms and sugar and simmer for about 5 minutes or until desired consistency is achieved

Garnish with fried cashews and raisins.


As I was making this for my wee one as well, I allowed the apple to soften quite a bit, if you are serving for older children or adults, you may want to add the apple towards the end if you like some crunch. Having said that, I found it perfect the way it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment