Monday 9 May 2011

Low Fat Oats Chewy Bar


Low Fat Oats Chewy Bar


Young children need to be refuelled often than be stuffed with a big meal. This is infact true for adults as well. The days that we are ta home, I try to plan ahead for some snacks, so that is like a reassurance for me so I don’t have to think lunch is my last meal ever. As a mother I feel it is very much my responsibility to build good eating habbits in my wee one and for that reason deep fried snacks are a very rare event. I did notice that snacks in this part of the world is usually sweet whereas back home it is usually savoury. Downside of the sweets, is quite obvious, the calories and fat. For this reason I wanted to try my hands on baking a low fat oats chewy bar. I have used very little sugar and most of the sweetness is from natural ingredients like dates, apple, raisins etc. I just pulsed the oats in the food processor as I thought the porridge oats in own form would be just a touch big. You could use it directly if you prefer.

1 cup porridge oats
2 tbsp dates syrup
1-2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon oil
1 pinch of salt
1 handful of raisins, chopped
2 tablespoons black currant
3 tablespoons apple butter

Mix all ingredients

Spread on dish lined with baking paper and bake at 180degC for 15 minutes

Cut into pieces and cool

Serve!

1 comment:

  1. Yum;yum,healthy chewy bars looks fabulous and addictive..

    ReplyDelete