Sunday 3 June 2012

Eggless Brownies


Eggless Brownies


I had a packet of chocolate that I had to use up soon as it was approaching end of its shelf life, which is the very reason I got it at a very low cost. I was wondering if I should make biscuits but was not sure I had the energy to grate it to add it to the biscuit. Any other quicker way of doing it would have been my first option. I looked up some eggless brownie recipe. To be very honest, I am not a big fan of brownie or even chocolate cakes available in the market. Main reason is that I find them way too fatty and greasy and I get put off by the sight of them and also the feeling of full that I get after eating it. On the other hand, my husband has tried many brownies and chocolate cakes so he is the one I rely on to get genuine feedback on such dishes. I decided to make brownies but my lack of knowledge about how it needs to be made me wonder if I had indeed baked brownie or just chocolate cake. However, I tasted it myself a little later and was convinced it was not chocolate cake and confirmed that my husband was not just trying to flatter me by saying it was very good. Brownie, as I understand is suppose to have a rather crisp top and slightly gooey in the centre. For that reason when you check it is done, don’t expect a skewer inserted t come clean, it should come back slightly sticky but not with raw batter. I sprinkled some icing sugar to make them look even better. Here is the recipe...

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoon coco powder
150gm chocolate, preferably dark
½ cup caster sugar
1/3 cup oil/butter/margarine
½ cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup water
Melt the chocolate in double boiler

Sift together flour, baking powder and coco powder and add sugar

Whisk together yogurt, oil/melted butter/melted margarine until combined

Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined, add water to make a batter similar to cake batter

Pour this into a square or rectangular dish lined with aluminium foil and bake at 180degC for 35-40 minutes. A skewer inserted should not come completely clean but a bit sticky.

Cool in the tin/dish for five minutes and transfer to cooling rack with foil removed. Cool completely and cut into pieces

1 comment: