Wednesday 13 June 2012

Garlic Kuzhambu (Garlic in tangy spicy sauce)


Garlic Kuzhambu (Garlic in tangy spicy sauce)

This recipe is literally brought to you hot from my kitchen because I just made and enjoyed eating it and also because I made it real hot. So be warned, if you do not like hot food, reduce the quantity of dry red chillies used. I fancied some hot food from last night, Schezuan fried rice to be precise but it was a little late to get started so just had some rice mixed with home made mango pickle. I was surprised to note that my craving for hot food did not go away with my sleep and now wanted something more South Indian. Garlic kuzhambu i.e. garlic in spicy tangy sauce had been on my mind for a while. Coming from an Iyengar family, this certainly is not my mom or grandmom’s fort so looked out for recipes. I then put together what would suit my taste buds and it was spot on, atleast for me. Some people do not eat garlic at all but there are a few who would not mind eating it as long as it does not smell too much. This dish is suitable for the latter as the dish itself is quite aromatic but does not have the garlic giving out its garlicky smell. I loved it and this certainly is a keeper. Here it is, for you to try...

1 garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon tamarind paste
1 teaspoon jaggery
1 sprig curry leaves
2-3 dry red chillies
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon urd dal
¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
Gingelly oil or any other cooking oil
Salt to taste
Asafoetida
Turmeric powder

For paste:
1 teaspoon black peppercorn
½ teaspoon cumin powder
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
6-8 dry red chillies
3 cloves garlic
½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
Little cooking oil
To make the paste, heat little oil and fry all the ingredients mentioned for paste on low flame until the seeds begin to pop and it is all aromatic. Keep aside and grind to smooth paste

Heat some oil and add mustard seeds, urd dal, fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies, asafoetida and turmeric powder. Allow the mustard seeds to crackle

Add the garlic cloves and curry leaves and sauté for couple of minutes

Add little over a cup of water and the tamarind paste. Also add required salt. Cook until the garlic softens and water is reduced by half

Add the paste, jaggery, top up some water and allow to simmer for about ten minutes, by this time, your kitchen will be filled with aroma

Serve with steamed rice or idli/dosa.





2 comments:

  1. Great recipe!!!

    Food Fun Freak
    http://foodfunfreak.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete