Tuesday 1 January 2013

Almond Poppy Seed Drink



Almond Poppy Seed drink
Personally, I do not attach much importance to new year. I fell time is a continuum and for our convenience we divided it into the way we follow today. It seems a bit philosophical, but that’s how I feel about it. Having said that, I am aware that many attach more importance to new year, especially the first day so I thought I will post a recipe on this day. I wanted to post a recipe I learned from my grandmother as I thought it would be a nice way to preserve it while we move forward in time. I did make some modifications to the recipe to make it suitable for us. This is the drink my grandmother would make when we have mouth ulcers. It is one of those recipes that serves as medicines for an otherwise annoying problem. It is quite tasty so you can have it once a week even if you do not have mouth ulcer. Poppy seeds are obtained from the opium plant but do not have the bad effects of the drug itself. On the other hand, it is said to help in nervous disorders and acts as pain killer. It also has essential fatty acids and I am guessing it is for these reasons that it gets used in this recipe. Here is the recipe...

10-12 almonds, soaked and skinned
1 tablespoon poppy seeds, soaked in hot water for about an hour
1 generous pinch of saffron
2 glasses of milk
Sugar to taste

Grind together the almonds, saffron and poppy seeds and once finely ground, add the milk. You could steep the saffron in some hot water/milk to extract the flavour better

Add the milk and required sugar.

1 comment: