Saturday 13 August 2011

Drumstick Channa Dal Kurma


Drumstick Channa Dal Kurma


I wish I was in a place where I had unlimited access to drumstick. This vegetable is in season back home so almost all cookery shows have dishes based on it. It is a real shame that I cannot get fresh ones here and everytime I hit an Indian grocery shop in a different city or someone comes from London, I ask them to buy a few for me, cut it and freeze. I must say that frozen ones are certainly not as good as the fresh ones but most of the times that is the best I can get. Anyway, recently I got hold of some fresh ones and decided to make some dish with atleast two fresh drumstick and freeze the rest. First dish I tried is this kurma that has been on my ‘to try’ list for ages. This is chef Damu’s recipe and it worked out good and different from the regular drumstick sambar which is also one of my favourites. The vegetable has such a great aroma that is very appetising even as it is being cooked. Back home there are quite a few dishes that they make using the leaf of the tress in which this veggie grows but obviously I have no access to it. Anyway, I made this for lunch to have along with rice and then had the leftover with vegetable upma for dinner.

1 drumstick cut into 1.5 inch long pieces
½ cup channa dal, soaked for about half an hour
2 tomatoes, cubed
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
¼ teaspoon tamarind paste
1 teaspoon chilly powder
4-5 green chillies, slit
Turmeric powder
Asafoetida
Salt to taste
Cooking oil

Grind the following to make the paste –
2 tablespoon coconut (I used desiccated coconut)
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
2 pinches of caraway seeds (add more if you like the aniseed flavour)

Heat a teaspoon of oil and add the mustard seeds. Once it crackles, add the tomatoes, asafoetida, turmeric powder and cook until it wilts and softens

Add the green chillies, drumsticks, curry leaves and channa dal and enough water so there is about an inch of water above the contents; cook covered until dal and drumstick are done. The dal will not get mushy but it is enough if it is well cooked

Add the chilly powder, salt, ground paste and tamarind and add more water if needed. Simmer until all raw smell goes and desired consistency is achieved.

Serve hot with rice, upma, dosa or pongal.

1 comment: