Tuesday 20 December 2011

Babycorn Manchurian


Babycorn Manchurian


I love Manchurian, especially the cauliflower but do not like the fact that it is deep fried so I have never made that version. I came across this babycorn manchurian recipe on a television program and put it in my to try list as it did not involve deep frying and also made use of an ingredient in my pantry that I seldom use. It was vegetable stock cube, I have kept an organic pack of cubes handy mainly because my husband likes a claypot dish that pretty much needs just few vegetables and stock cube. The cubes I have are MSG free and I prefer to keep things additive free for health reasons. I was trying to keep the menu for the day simple so chose to make this Manchurian to go with vegetable egg fried rice. I love babycorns and when I found that I could get frozen ones at much lesser cost, I kept ordering one pack very other week. This recipe, like many Chinese recipes, calls for finely chopped garlic and ginger instead of ginger garlic paste. The dish came out very well and tasted like the Chinese food that one would get in Chinese restaurants in India. Here is the recipe...

10-12 babycorn, slit
1 bunch spring onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cube vegetable stock
1 tablespoon soya sauce
1 heaped teaspoon corn flour
1 teaspoon black pepper powder
Salt if required
Cooking oil
Heat some oil and add the ginger, garlic and spring onions, sauté until it wilts

Add babycorns and sprinkle some water and cook until babycorn is just done

Add the vegetable stock cube, soya sauce, about two cups water and boil

Add the cornflour and let it thicken while simmering

Add blackpepper powder and boil for couple of minutes

Check for salt and add only if needed as the stock cube and soya sauce also have some salt in them

Serve hot

1 comment:

  1. Would love this super delicious manchurian with a bowl of rice..

    ReplyDelete