Friday 9 December 2011

Paneer Makhni


Paneer Makhni

Paneer is an ingredient I would love to keep handy as it is quite versatile. However, sometimes I just have to finish using up what is in the fridge else it would rot. I do stick to the use by dates on dairy products so was looking for a simple yet nice paneer dish. It was one of those days when I said to myself that a little bit of indulgence is ok. So I thought I will make paneer makhni that I saw on Sanjeev Kapoor’s website. I tweaked the recipe slightly for simple reasons like I did not want to use many dishes. The list of ingredients seems long but it is a simple dish with an outcome that would beat restaurants.

3-4 tomatoes, pureed
About 180g paneer (I used 3/4th of a regular pack of paneer)
2 dry red chillies
1 teaspoon grated ginger
3-4 cloves garlic crushed
1 teaspoon chilly powder
½ teaspoon kasoori methi
1 teaspoon corn flour
1 teaspoon coriander powder
½ cup milk
2 tablespoon butter
Cooking oil
4 cardamoms
4 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
Handful of chopped coriander leaves
Turmeric powder
Salt to taste

Heat a kadai and add oil. Fry all whole spices i.e cinnamon, cardamom, cloves

Add ginger, garlic, chilly and fry until raw smell goes

Add tomato puree and cook until 25% has reduced

Add kasoori methi, crushed, then turmeric powder, coriander powder and cook further

Once mixture thickens a bit, add corn flour and about half cup water, allow to boil

Add salt, chilly powder, coriander leaves, some butter and simmer until it comes to gravy consistency. If you chose to blend, cool the mixture and blend. You could fish out the whole spices and not blend or even simpler, leave it as is

In the meantime heat little oil in a pan and fry the paneer until golden brown on both sides. Then cut into bite size cubes


Add paneer and required amount of milk and simmer briefly

Serve hot with roti/naan/rice

1 comment:

  1. Nice stepwise pictures..thanks for the recipe..looks delicious:-)

    ReplyDelete