Saturday 31 December 2011

Iron Rich Yogurt Drink


Iron Rich Yogurt Drink


Couple of years back, around the same time I was wondering how I could share my thoughts on food, healthy eating, some indulgence, my recipes, traditional recipes so they do not get lost etc. Then with help from my husband, I started this blog and it has been absolutely wonderful having a platform to write and also have readers read and feedback. I was always keen on eating sensibly and am a firm believer that good food can be quite healing in both preventing and curing ways. The more I realised that I could influence my state of health, and ofcourse that of the family, via food that we intake, the more interested I became in what exactly goes into the food. This is one of the reasons I wanted to learn more about ayurvedic science behind food and understand how I could make advantage of the medicinal properties of several wonderful ingredients yet create yummy dishes that taste nothing like a horrible cough syrup. As a first step I bought couple of books and this recipe is from one of them, The Ayurvedic Cooking by Amadea Morningstar and Urmila Desai. This does not involve any cooking and is pretty simple and is an excellent breakfast drink that could keep you going for a good while. Several people suffer from iron deficiency and resort to supplements in the form of tablets. One of the painful side effects of iron supplement is constipation. On the contrary, this drink is rich in iron but also mildly laxative due to its fibre content. It does not have to be sweetened as the natural sugars in its ingredients are adequate but that is a personal choice. By no means will this taste like medicine because it is indeed quite a tasty drink. I do not believe in New year resolutions as there is no bad time to do good things so why wait till new year. However, I thought several people believe in it and for those who would like to give 2012 a healthy start, here is my little help. Wish you all a very happy and healthy New Year!

¼ cup raisins
4 dried figs/peaches/apricots
1 cup water
½ cup yogurt

Soak the raisins and figs/apricot/peaches in water overnight

Blend all ingredients together to make a smooth drink

Serves 1-2

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing a awesome ways. These are great way to increase iron intake. I agree with you completely.Iron supplement

    ReplyDelete