Sunday 1 January 2012

Apple Halwa


Apple Halwa


Somehow I seem to have been left with atleast a couple of packs of apple to consume. I am not one of those that can just grab an apple and snack on it as I like them cut into bite size pieces. Ofcourse, one needs time and energy to do that so you guessed it right, I seldom have apples. I have tried a few milkshakes with apple and intend to post some of those recipes sometimes. For now, I came across some apple halwa recipes and thought now is probably a good idea to try it. It is a mix and match of few recipes I came across online and the good thing is it does not needs cups of sugar. I absolutely loved the result although was a bit disappointed that it did not have the same consistency as tirunelveli halwa or something, in the sense that despite me trying to slice them, the slices were not firm. So these would be best serve in cups with spoon like carrot halwa. The combination of the almonds with the sweetness and mild tartness from the apples was fabulous. Here is how I made it...

3 apples, peeled and ground to paste
3 tablepsoon sugar
2 teaspoons ghee
2 teaspoons flaked almonds or any other nuts of choice
2 tablespoon milk powder

Heat a saucepan and add the ground apples with a spoon of ghee. Cook until almost all moisture has evaporated stirring frequently


Add the milk powder and mix well

Add sugar and flaked almonds and mix well and cook until it all comes together. Add little more ghee and cook until it all comes together like a ball



Serve!

3 comments:

  1. Yumm, incredible apple halwa..Happy new year wishes to u and ur family..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont have any milk powder....is there any substitute for that???...any idea?..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, sorry for a late reply. the milk powder helps thicken as well as lend some flavour. i would like to think a thick paste of maida/flour or corn flour would help. the texture of final halwa may be slightly different but shud b ok. do let me know how u get on :)

      Delete