Saturday 28 January 2012

Drumstick Chops (Murungakai Chops)


Drumstick Chops


One more veggie that I certainly miss in this part of the world. I would normally buy a few of them during my quarterly Indian grocery shopping, chop them and freeze. Then I started noticing that if the fresh veggie was not very good then the frozen one has no flavour or flesh. I then started using them soon after I return from the shop. I was once left with three of them to use up and they were not particularly great so chose not to make sambar with them. My sister-in-law had made this dish when we were at her place and I quite liked it. It is incredibly simple but very tasty and a must try if you like drumsticks. With due credit to my SIL, here is the recipe…

3 drumsticks, cut into about inch and half long pieces
3 tomatoes, pureed
1 onion, finely chopped
Turmeric powder
1 teaspoon chilly powder
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
Asafoetida
Few curry leaves
Salt to taste
Cooking oil

Heat some oil and add the mustard seeds. Once it crackles, add the onions and fry until it just changes colour then add turmeric powder

Add the drumstick, pureed tomatoes, chilly powder, asafoetida, curry leaves, salt and enough water and cook covered until drumsticks are done and desired consistency is achieved



Serve with rice



2 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of drumstick..yummilicious...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously cant take my eyes from ur irresistible click,super tempting and lovely chops.

    ReplyDelete