Friday 20 January 2012

Sprouted Mung Bean Dosa


Sprouted Mung Bean Dosa


Sprouting beans is a great way to enhance their nutritive value however I noticed that not everyone likes to eat them straight away. I also struggle to just eating raw sprouts. I usually briefly shallow fry store bought sprouts if I was adding them to rice but whenever I sprout beans at home I normally find a recipe in which it gets cooked. That way, this dosa (savoury crepe) recipe is quite good because you will not realise that it has sprouted beans in it. I either read this bit of info somewhere or I am totally making it up – very young sprouts are more nutritive than mature ones (i.e. small budding sprouts are better than the long shoots). In order to increase the nutritive value, I added brown rice to the recipe. This increases the bulk and keeps one fuller for longer. Some may have noticed that when they consume protein rich food, it actually fills them up quicker than carbohydrates rich food. This dosa is quite filling and by the time I finished two normal sized home made dosas, I was full. For those who are calorie conscious, this is a great meal. I made egg curry to go with this as I did not want to go through the hassle of grinding a chutney as I had already lined up a list of things to grind. I would suggest that this be served with some tangy chutney or egg curry/kuzhambu.

1 cup mung bean sprouts
½ cup brown rice (or white rice)
½ cup par boiled rice (idli rice)
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
Salt to taste

Soak the rice and fenugreek seeds together for about 6 hours

Grind to batter along with mung sprouts and add salt. Batter should be similar to normal dosa batter consistency

Spread aladleful of batter on a hot tava, drizzle some oil, cook until bottom side turns golden then flip and cook until done

Serve with tangy chutney.

2 comments: