Saturday 23 October 2010

Pakoda Kadhi

Low Fat Pakoda Kadhi

I have very often come across pakoda kadhi recipe. Last time I saw it was on Sanjeev Kapoor’s website. I was not keen on it because I do not think I will like pakoda in kadhi. As I had planned to make pakoda and was looking for something other than sambar (vegetable and lentil based stew) to make for my husband I thought kadhi will be a good idea. That’s when I decided to make pakoda kadhi and see if he likes it. I usually look at different websites for ideas and formulate my version because quite commonly I would not like few ingredients in the versions I see or I may not like doing it a certain way, like deep frying etc. What I get stuck with is this idea and not the recipe that I saw online. I barely get time before I start cooking to check the recipe. I then start making it the way I thought I would and evolve the recipe as I cook. This one may not be particularly different from others but this is how I ended up making it...

1-2 cups yogurt
1 ½ tablespoons besan (chickpea flour)
¼ teaspoon powdered roasted fenugreek
Turmeric powder
Asafoetida
1 teaspoon ginger-green chilly paste
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 dry red chilly (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped coriander for garnish
Salt to taste
Cooking oil
Low fat pakoda

Whisk the yogurt with some water and add turmeric powder, asafoetida the besan and mix until there are no lumps

Add the fenugreek powder and ginger-chilly paste and bring the mixture to boil on low flame. Add more water based on desired consistency.

Take the mixture off the flame after it boils briefly and heat little oil and add mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add the dry red chilly and heat until it turns crisp. Add this to the mixture.

Add required salt, mix and add the low fat pakoda and garnish
 Serve with rice
Look at the low fat pakoda post for its recipe.

1 comment: