Friday 29 October 2010

Savoury Carrot Bun

Savoury Carrot Bun

Snacks are very important for both kids and adults. It helps us have the recommended six meals in a day. Snacking is said to help arrest cravings and eating well portioned meals rather than stuffing oneself in one go. For toddlers and young kids, snacks are all the more important as they constantly need to be refuelled. As I have always said, my philosophy is to make food common for my child and us. I would not want to bring him up on special food and end up cooking ‘n’ number of recipes in a day for years to come. Also, young kids tend to have a sweet tooth. This is not just their usual preference but I read somewhere that we are born with more tastebuds for sweets than savoury. Sugar is empty calorie and hence I prefer to give my child savory snacks ofcourse not high in salt. I have been trying this recipe for a while. As the amount of oil is very little, I was struggling to get a nice shape when I used muffin moulds as they would just stick to the paper. This time I tried to place them on greased baking sheet like cookies (especially American cookies) and they came out well. Interestingly their final consistency was like ‘vada’, soft and easy to chew. All of us enjoyed it and hope you and your child like it as well. Here is how I did it...

¼ cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup all purpose flour (maida)
1 grated carrot
½ teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon baking powder
Salt to taste (I would usually use less salt for my kid)
2 tablespoons yogurt
¼ cup milk
Little water
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon chopped coriander

Mix all the dry ingredients along with carrots and coriander


Add the milk, yogurt and required water (you will not need more than a spoon or two typically) to make a dough that is just a touch lose (like cookie dough).

Place spoonful of the dough on greased baking tray and slightly flatten the top to give it a nice shape.


Bake in preheated oven at 180deg C for 15-20 minutes. Check if it is done by inserting a fork and ensuring nothing sticks to it while taken out.

 Serve!


If you are making this for adults only, you could add some chopped green chillies, ginger paste. You could also add finely chopped onions even for your kid.

1 comment: