Wednesday 20 October 2010

Spinach Roti

I have possibly said this like a hundred times now but I really believe that it is very healthy to get different grains in your diet throughout the day. For this reason I usually make different rotis normally for dinner. I have been wondering why I eat far lesser quantity if roti is on the menu but tend to eat a lot if it is rice. I think the very fact that you cannot eat rotis without chewing it makes the eating process slower and hence allows enough time for your brain to get the signal that the stomach is full. Whereas rice if well cooked, could just be swallowed quickly. Well, that is my theory and very interested in hearing any explanation from you J. It was dinner time again but I just did not have the enrgy to make a side dish and rotis. I just wanted one dish in which I could get my vegetable and cereal. Parathas are the usual choice but I had some spinach leftover in a bag and it was almost time to do weekend grocery shopping. I decided to make spinach rotis and it turned out pretty good. I have already said a lot about the goodness of spinach in few other posts. In summary, this is a healthy and light meal. It is a great finger food or even a meal for toddlers as well.


2 handful of spinach
1 teaspoon finely chopped green chillies
2 teaspoons ginger paste (you could also add garlic paste if you fancy)
½ to 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 1/2 cups wheatflour
1 teaspoon cooking oil
Salt to taste

Grind all ingredients except the flour and salt in a food processer. I would like it to start looking like finely chopped and would not want to make a paste.

Mix this with the flour and salt and make a soft dough. Apply some oil in your hand and knead the dough well. Depending on the spinach you are using, you may not need to add any water, but judge that for yourself. I found that the dough began to get softer as I kneaded it and did not need any additional water.

Divide them into lime size balls and roll them flat using rolling pin. Use some flour for dusting.

Cook both sides of the roti on a hot tava/pan.

I would cook one side until I start seeing ‘bubbles’ and then turn and cook second side again until it starts rising slightly and would apply gentle pressure using a ladle. Then again turn side for it to rise. This roti will not rise as much as conventional roti. Also, because of the green colour you just have to be extra careful while checking for brown spots to check if it is done.



Above quantity will make about 6 rotis. For some reason I have not been able to load all pictures but atleast the main ones are here, will try again later.




5 comments:

  1. gr8 idea to sneak in greens..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Harini. they come out quite soft as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely... I love any spinach dish, even bread. I agree to your theory on why you eat less roti's than rice... It makes sense, and even the wheat flour will be slower processed by the body than the rice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog. Your blog is interesting and so informative. Wait for your next blog post.
    Natco Tumeric Powder

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write Natco Ginger Powder

    ReplyDelete