Friday 19 November 2010

Cauliflower Pepper Curry (dry)


Cauliflower Pepper Curry (dry)

There are times when I am not sure if I have stock of few things and start wondering in the shop. I do not like coming back home to realise I bought something I already have, especially perishable food. This time it was bag of mixed peppers. I already had one pack and also frozen chopped peppers. I cannot say I didn’t know what to do with it considering I have a food blog. Well, I say so because they are fairly common ingredient and I should have no problem making something nice. I was originally planning to make what they call ‘achari’ style. I believe it is a Punjabi type of cooking vegetables where specific spices are used. However I thought it may not suit the texture of peppers and hence made something on the fly. It came out quite well and hence got a place in my blog. I had few pieces of what is called ‘bajji milagai’, it is a type of big chilly and I used that instead of green pepper. You can use any pepper of your choice. Now for the recipe...

5-6 florets of cauliflower, par boiled
1 red onion, chopped
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 green pepper (I used a type of chilly instead)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon onion seeds (kalonji)
2 dry red chillies, broken
1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania)
1 teaspoon chilly powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera)
Turmeric powder
2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
1 teaspoon grated ginger
2-3 cloves garlic chopped (optional)
Cooking oil
Salt to taste

Heat about a teaspoon oil in a wok and add the cumin seeds. Once it starts turning dark brown, add the onion seeds, dry red chillies and chopped onions.

Add the peppers, turmeric powder, ginger and garlic. Add little salt to encourage the cooking of peppers

After the peppers are almost done (check by piercing them with a ladle, if they yield easily, they are done), add the cauliflowers. Add the chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt and cook on low flame for about 10 minutes

Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with an Indian bread or rice.


3 comments:

  1. Delicious and colorful curry..loved your step-by-step pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Harini, thanks
    @Nithu, thanks. I was hoping the step by step pictures will help people who are more pictorial and not wordy.

    ReplyDelete