Saturday 20 November 2010

Low Fat Onion Fritters


Low Fat Onion Fritters


Not sure where my husband picked this habit of having something crunchy on the side for his main meal. Needless to say it often becomes the main dish and there comes an arguement at the dinner table. I have almost stopped buying crisps/chips so that crunchy stuff has to be something home-made. As the head chef of the family, I always avoid deep frying but it is not always easy to make a low fat crispy dish but as I have the need to do it, I do few experiments. This particular recipe has been quite successful and have done it a few times. I have seen such fritters being served either on the side in some restaurants and some places even serve this in the name of bhaji. I am sure it is more a cousin of pakora than bhaji. You could serve it as a starter with a nice dip or chutney or serve it as a tea time snack. Here is the recipe...

2-3 red onions, halved and then thinly sliced
3 tablespoon besan (chickpea flour)
½ - 1 teaspoon chilly powder
Turmeric powder
Asafoetida
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon cooking oil

Try to separate the onions with your hands so they are not clustered. Add all ingredients except oil and mix well and then add oil and mix again


Cook in a preheated oven at 180degC for 25-30 minutes mixing every ten minutes.



Serve hot

Please have in mind that it takes around 20-25 minutes, the ingredients are cooked. However, it is after this that it becomes crisp. Keep an eye as depending on your oven, the timing may vary slightly and it may just start burning.

2 comments:

  1. Nice recipe and I love that you didn't have to fry these... Happy to find your blog from Bindu's facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey baking pakodas seems to be a gr8 idea..only I hv the mighty task convincing my husband :(

    ReplyDelete