Thursday 18 November 2010

Chilli Garlic Rice


Chilli Garlic Rice

My super time saver and energy saver is variety rice. It keeps the task of eating quite simple as well. Fewer dishes to wash and quicker to clean! In most of my rice dishes I add vegetables so we get good amount of nutrition. In this dish I happened to add Quorn, specifically roasted chicken style pieces. I really added it because I had to spend it as it was about to expire. You can add vegetables of your choice and if you are a non-vegetarian, you could add a meat of your choice. Reason I say so is because the garlic and the chillies make the dish more a non-vegetarian Indian dish. Garlic and chilli is a matter of personal preference and depending on your taste, you may like more or less of it. The recipe mentioned below is quite garlicky and hot, so adjust according to your taste.

10-12 cloves garlic
4-5 dry red chillies
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup vegetables of your choice
1 cup long grain rice, cooked (I use basmati rice)
Turmeric powder
Cooking oil
Salt to taste


In a wok, add some oil and fry the onions, add some turmeric powder and vegetables of your choice. Vegetables like cauliflower could be par-boiled before stir frying. If using peas, carrot, peppers, just add directly to the onion. Cook until veggies are done.



Grind the garlic and red chillies to a fine paste adding water as required.


 


Add this paste to the onion-vegetable mixture and cook until raw smell of garlic disappears.


Add the rice, salt and mix well

Serve hot with a raita

I normally pressure cook the rice in one cup water. This helps me get cooked grains that are separate and not mushy. I usually add less red chillies as my husband cannot take very hot food. I then add chilli flakes to my plate so it is more suitable for me. This is one advantage of using red chillies!

No comments:

Post a Comment